Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Attached four-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as part of terrace of four. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof having parapet with cut granite copping to front (north) elevation. Rendered chimneystack to east gable, brown brick chimneystack shared with property to west, lined-and-ruled rendered chimneystack to east. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front, laid in English garden wall bond to east elevation. Cut granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, rendered reveals and replacement windows. Round-headed door opening having Ionic doorcase with entablature, spoked fanlight, and timber panelled door. Paved granite platform having granite steps flanked by recent railings. Recent railings to basement areas.
This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The Ionic doorcase, including elegant fanlight, displays skilled craftsmanship and adds visual interest to the composition. It shares characteristics with the houses to the west, resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of four houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street, where residential development did not start in earnest until the mid-nineteenth century.