Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1920 - 1925
Corner-sited attached double-height three-bay bank, built 1923, having central breakfront to three-bay entrance front (north), five-bays to east elevation and recent extension to rear (south) elevation. Pyramidal slate roof hidden by stepped panelled Portland stone parapet over cut Portland stone cornice with block modillions. Ashlar Portland stone walls, having panelled pilasters with fluted capitals supporting entablature, pair of engaged columns with fluted shafts and Ionic capitals to east elevation. Pier at corner of north and east elevations with carved capital. Stepped granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings having Portland stone sills, stepped architraves and replacement windows. Pair of blind openings flanking entrance to front. Square-headed door opening to front with carved Portland stone surround having coin mouldings, bay-leaf garland to fascia. Scrolled consoles supporting fluted cornice. Recent lettering 'AIB' mounted on projecting panel. Double-leaf timber panelled door. Nosed granite steps to porch, glazed timber-framed door to interior. Cut granite plinth wall flanking.
Neatly fitting the corner of South Richmond Street and Harrington Street, the restrained neo-Classical style of this building is well suited to its function as a bank. It was designed by Frederick G. Hicks for the Provincial Bank. Its symmetrical elevations, with classical features such as paired pilasters and columns, and decorative details including coin mouldings, endow the bank with a sense of integrity and authority as well as creating a pleasing façade. The use of Portland stone for the ashlar masonry conveys the wealth of the bank as well as its adherence to tradition, and provides a pleasing tonal contrast to the brown brick which predominates on the streetscape. The bank continues to form a prominent part of this historic streetscape.