Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement house, built c. 1830, having return to rear (west) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof partially hidden behind parapet with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks having clay pots. Some shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls. Masonry plinth course and rendered wall to ground floor and basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and rendered reveals, having replacement windows. Round-headed doorway with moulded render surround, and timber doorcase with Ionic pilasters supporting fluted cornice with marigold detail. Four-pane fanlight, timber panelled door. Granite steps with cast-iron bootscrape to platform, flanked by wrought-iron railings on granite plinth wall. Square-headed door opening having replacement door. Wrought-iron railings with cast-iron posts on carved granite plinth wall to front.
This well-proportioned house retains much of its late Georgian character. Salient features including a well-executed timber doorcase and cast-iron boot-scrape add subtle decorative interest to the composition. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a pleasingly balanced façade. This house is one of eight (originally nine) in a terrace built at a time when Dublin was expanding, and there was significant residential development in the area of Portobello. The terrace as a whole continues to lend elegance and aesthetic value to this busy street.