Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of eight. Return to rear (west) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof partially hidden behind parapet with granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls. Masonry plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having granite sills and rendered reveals, mixed one-over-one pane timber sliding sash and replacement windows. Round-headed doorway with moulded render surround, and timber doorcase with Ionic pilasters supporting fluted cornice with marigold detail. Plain fanlight with house number in gold leaf, timber panelled door. Granite steps having cast-iron bootscrape to platform, flanked by wrought-iron railings. Square-headed doorway having recent timber door to basement. Wrought-iron railings with cast-iron posts on carved granite plinth wall to front, replacement pedestrian gate.
This well-proportioned house retains much of its late Georgian character. Salient features including a well-executed timber doorcase and cast-iron boot-scrape add subtle decorative interest to the composition. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a pleasingly balanced façade. This house is one of eight (originally nine) in a terrace built at a time when Dublin was expanding, and there was significant residential development in the area of Portobello. The terrace continues to lend elegance and aesthetic value to this busy street.