Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of eight. Return to rear (west) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof partially hidden behind parapet with granite copings, rear return. Brown brick and rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls. Masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having granite sills, rendered reveals and six-over-six pane and three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows, replacement window to basement. Wrought-iron balconettes to first floor windows to front. Round-headed door opening with moulded render surround, and timber doorcase with Ionic pilasters supporting moulded fluted cornice with marigold detail. Cobweb fanlight, timber panelled door. Granite steps having cast-iron boot-scrape to platform, flanked by wrought-iron railings on granite plinth wall. Square-headed doorway with recent timber door to basement. Wrought-iron railings with cast-iron posts, having replacement gate to basement, on carved granite plinth wall to front.
This well-proportioned house retains much of its late Georgian character and salient features including an ornate and well-preserved timber doorcase. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a pleasingly balanced façade. This terrace was built at a time when Dublin was expanding, and there was significant residential development in this locale. The group continues to lend elegance and aesthetic value to this busy street.