Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as part of terrace of eight. Return to rear (west) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof, partially hidden behind brown brick parapet with granite coping. Brown brick and rendered chimneystacks having terracotta pots. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, masonry plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings, round-headed window opening to rear, with granite sills and some polychrome brick detailing, replacement windows throughout. Wrought-iron balconette to first-floor window openings to front. Round-headed door opening to front with moulded render surround, and timber doorcase with Ionic columns and moulded cornice with marigold detail. Cobweb fanlight, timber panelled door. Granite steps with cast-iron bootscrape to platform, flanked by wrought-iron railings on granite plinth wall, decorative cast-iron corner post. Square-headed door opening with recent door to basement.
This house retains much of its historic character, through the retention of salient features including a distinctive cobweb fanlight and attractive classically-influenced timber doorcase. The diminishing fenestration is characteristic of Georgian architecture, and creates a pleasingly balanced facade. These formal elements were indications of respectability, as were the railings enclosing the area in front of the house, and the location of servants’ quarters in the basement. The decorative balustrade adorning the first-floor windows is indicative of the situation of the main reception rooms, and attests to the artisanship and skill in the manufacture of ironwork at the beginning of the nineteenth century.