Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement and having attic accommodation, built c. 1885, return to rear (east) elevation and canted-bay window to front (west) elevation. Part of terrace of nine. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof, with dormer window to rear, and brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with granite plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square- and segmental-headed window openings having masonry sills. canted-bay window to ground floor, with hipped leaded roof, carved timber cornice, sill and timber panelled apron. Two-over-two pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Round-headed door opening having carved timber doorcase comprising pilasters, brackets and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and sidelights, timber panelled door. Shared nosed granite steps with cast-iron bootscrape to platform, decorative cast-iron handrail and post. Octagonal cast-iron coal hole cover to path. Cast-iron gate with decorative collars and matching railings on cut granite plinth wall to front.
This building retains much of its original form and salient features, and is characteristic of suburban residential development at the close of the nineteenth century. Skilled artisanship is evident in the execution of iron and stonework to the site, including an unusually shaped coal-hole cover. Stamer Street was named for William Stamer, Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1809-1819. The closure of Portobello Gardens in 1865 and the later infilling of the Portobello Basin freed up residential development land in the area. The east side of the street comprises a relatively unified terrace with similar parapet heights and fenestration pattern.