Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement and having attic accommodation, built c. 1885, return to rear (east) elevation and canted-bay window to front (west) elevation. Part of a terrace of nine. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof with dormer window to rear, recent rooflight, brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square- and segmental-headed window openings with granite sills and rendered reveals. canted-bay window having hipped roof, carved timber cornice, sill and timber panelled apron. Replacement windows throughout. Round-headed door opening with carved timber doorcase comprising pilasters, brackets and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and sidelights, timber panelled door. Shared nosed granite steps having cast-iron bootscrape to platform, decorative cast-iron handrail and post. Cast-iron gate with matching railings on masonry plinth wall to front.
This building retains much of its original form, and is characteristic of suburban residential development at the close of the nineteenth century. Skilled artisanship is evident in the quality of surviving cast-iron and stonework, which serves both functional and decorative purposes. Stamer Street was named for William Stamer, Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1809-1819. The closure of Portobello Gardens in 1865 and the later infilling of the Portobello Basin freed up residential development land in the area. The east side of the street comprises a relatively unified terrace with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns.