Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement and having attic accommodation, built c. 1885, return to rear (east) elevation and canted-bay window to front (west) elevation. Part of terrace of nine. Pitched roof with dormer window to rear, brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square- and segmental-headed window openings having granite sills and rendered reveals. canted-bay window having hipped roof, carved timber cornice, sill and timber panelled apron. Two-over-two pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Some timber panelled shutters visible to interior, recent bars to basement window. Round-headed door opening with carved timber doorcase comprising pilasters, brackets and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and sidelights, timber panelled door. Shared rendered platform and steps with cast-iron bootscrape, decorative cast-iron handrail and post, tiled path. Cast-iron gate having decorative collars and matching railings on cut granite plinth wall to front.
This building retains much of its original form and many original features, and is characteristic of suburban residential development at the close of the nineteenth century. Skilled artisanship is evident in the elaborate detail of cast-ironwork, adding technical as well as decorative interest to the composition. Stamer Street was named for William Stamer, Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1809-1819. The closure of Portobello Gardens in 1865 and the later infilling of the Portobello Basin freed up residential development land in the area. The east side of the street comprises a relatively unified terrace with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns.