Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1885, having return to rear (east) elevation and canted-bay window to front (west) elevation. Part of terrace of nine. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof, with brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond with decorative cast-iron vent bricks, to walls. Masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square- and segmental-headed window openings having masonry sills and raised render reveals. canted-bay window, with hipped felted roof, carved timber cornice, sill and timber panelled apron. Replacement windows throughout. Round-headed door opening having carved timber doorcase comprising pilasters, brackets and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and sidelights, timber panelled door. Shared granite platform with cast-iron bootscrape, rendered steps, decorative cast-iron handrail and post. Tiled path. Cast-iron gate having matching railings on cut granite plinth wall.
This building retains much of its original form, and is characteristic of suburban residential development at the close of the nineteenth century. Skilled artisanship is evident in the variety of cast-iron work surviving including the decorative vent bricks to the front elevation. The railings and pedestrian gate which bound the front garden area provides a sense of enclosure marking out the private space associated with the house. Stamer Street was named for William Stamer, Lord Mayor of Dublin from 1809-1819. The closure of Portobello Gardens in 1865 and the later infilling of the Portobello Basin freed up residential development land in the area. The east side of the street comprises a relatively unified terrace with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns.