Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Corner-sited attached three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1800 as pair with house to south. Pitched roof, hipped to north end, behind brick parapet with cut granite coping, brick chimneystacks with clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, over masonry plinth course; rendered to basement, with masonry quoins. Square-headed window openings with raised rendered reveals, masonry sills and replacement timber windows. Round-headed doorway with moulded render surround, timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, scrolled brackets and cornice, decorative petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite steps and platform having stub of cast-iron bootscrape. Cast-iron railings with pointed finials and decorative collars on brick plinth wall with masonry capping.
This house retains much of its early form and character. Its double-fronted design with centrally placed doorcase and regular fenestration is typical of design in the late Georgian era. The simple cast-iron railings enclosing the basement area add subtle decorative interest, and the petal fanlight provides an artistic focal point to the classically influenced façade. This house is one of a small group of buildings surviving from the earliest phase of development in Portobello, coinciding with the opening of the Grand Canal harbour in 1801.