Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1720 - 1730
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1725 and refaced c. 1890, having shopfront of c. 1890 to ground floor and gabled closet return to rear. Now in commercial use. Hipped roof with ridge running perpendicular to street, hidden behind red brick parapet with granite coping. L-plan chimneystack to north party wall, having clay pots. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, to front (east) elevation, and rendered walling to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and replacement two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Timber shopfront, matching shopfronts to buildings to north, comprising panelled pilasters with raised medallions, console brackets and frieze with carved dentillated cornice, and basket-headed display window having mullion and carved stall-riser. Timber panelled door with basket-headed overlight providing access to shop and to upper floors, at north end of shopfront. Granite kerbing to footpath to front and basement light inset to path.
Dublin Civic Trust (2012), 'Survey of Gable-Fronted and Other Early Buildings of Dublin' states 'While the outward appearance of this former townhouse would display many of the characteristics of a late eighteenth-century house, albeit with a twentieth-century refacing, the plan, roof and chimney would suggest an early to mid-eighteenth-century origin, particularly its substantial closet return structure and steeply pitched roof – both of which may be late nineteenth-century modifications. Now forming part of a group of three similarly scaled buildings, this recently restored building possibly retains early fabric to the interior.' The building is enhanced by the fine Victorian shopfront, which together with the adjacent contemporary shopfronts, forms a noteworthy group that adds nineteenth century character and detailing to the streetscape.