Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1835
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1815 as one of twelve (Nos. 4-15) and part of longer terrace of similar houses, with four-storey return to north end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile artificial slate roof, hipped to north end, with terracotta ridge tiles, and rebuilt brick parapet with moulded granite coping and parapet gutters. Rendered chimneystacks to south gable wall with terracotta pots. Shared cast-iron downpipe with replacement aluminium hopper. Flemish bond buff brick walling to upper floors on granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted rendered reveals and painted granite sills; plain render surround to basement. Timber sliding sash windows with horns, four-over-eight pane to basement with steel grille and six-over-six pane to top two floors; replacement uPVC to ground floor; rear has some replacement windows. Elliptical-headed doorway with rendered reveals, painted stone doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns, entablature with foliate motifs to frieze, replacement spoked leaded fanlight, and replacement six-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform with two stages of four and three granite steps flanked by cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Decorative cast-iron railings on granite plinth to street, with matching pedestrian gates having decorative round-headed cast-iron piers. Buff brick boundary wall to south. Yard to rear of plot, with two-storey rubble stone and brick mews building to lane. carparking to south.
No. 4 Herbert Place forms the south end of a long, cohesive late Georgian terrace of brick houses that are set back from the Grand Canal above high exposed basements. The historic form and architectural character of the terraced group are largely well retained, with the main elevations displaying elegant proportions that are enlivened through the restrained Greek Revival detailing of the stone doorcases and setting features. Despite some loss of historic fabric, No. 4 retains original proportions, a good Greek Doric doorcase and setting features. Forming part of a cohesive group lining the west bank of the Grand Canal, the terrace constitutes a major part of this historic streetscape and contributes to the wider Georgian core of south Dublin. Although many mews buildings are modernized, the overall form of the row on Herbert Lane remains, with the rubble stone walls of No. 4 still intact. Originally built as a southward continuation of Warrington Place, this stretch of the street was renamed following the accession of Sidney Herbert to his father's estates in 1827.