Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1815 as one of twelve (Nos. 4-15) within longer row of similar houses, with three and four-storey return to south end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile artificial slate roof, hipped to south end, with terracotta ridge tiles and brick parapet with moulded granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to north party wall lacking pots. Shared cast-iron downpipe with replacement aluminium hopper. Flemish bond buff brick walling to upper floors on masonry plinth course over rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted rendered reveals and painted granite sills, with plain render surround to basement. Replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with convex horns; replacement uPVC casements to basement with steel grille. Rear has apparently six-over-six pane timber sash windows, with round-headed window to south bay. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded reveals, painted stone doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns, entablature with foliate motifs to frieze, decorative fanlight and replacement six-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform with two stages of four and three granite steps flanked by cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Modern paving with single granite step to street, and front boundary comprising decorative cast-iron railings over granite plinth with matching pedestrian gates on decorative round-headed cast-iron piers. Yard to rear of plot, with modernized two-storey rubble stone mews building to lane.
No. 5 Herbert Place forms part of a long, cohesive late Georgian terrace of brick houses that are set back from the Grand Canal above high exposed basements. The historic form and architectural character of the group are largely well retained, with the main elevations displaying elegant proportions that are enlivened through the restrained Greek Revival detailing of the stone doorcases and setting features. Despite some recent modifications, No. 5 retains original proportions, a good Greek Doric doorcase and setting features. Forming part of a cohesive group lining the west bank of the Grand Canal, the terrace forms a large part of this historic streetscape and contributes to the wider Georgian core of south Dublin. Although many mews buildings are modernized, including that to No. 5, the overall form of the row on Herbert Lane remains intact. Originally built as a southward continuation of Warrington Place, this stretch of the street was renamed following the accession of Sidney Herbert to his father's estates in 1827.