Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1815 as one of twelve (Nos. 4-15) within longer row of similar houses, with three-storey flat-roofed return to north end of rear. Now in use as college and offices. M-profile artificial slate roof, hipped to north end, having brick parapet with moulded granite coping, shouldered brick chimneystacks to south party wall with octagonal clay pots, and concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond buff brick walling to front on painted granite plinth course over ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted rendered reveals and painted granite sills; and rendered surround to basement set in segmental-headed recess. Six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to top floor, and replacement multiple-pane bipartite timber casements to ground and first floors with integrated plain transom lights; and with recent timber glazed door to modified basement opening. Rear has mainly six-over-six pane timber sash windows. Elliptical-headed doorway with rendered reveals, painted stone Greek Doric doorcase with triglyphs, guttae and metopes to entablature, plain fanlight and bolection-moulded twin-panel timber door with replacement brass furniture. Shared sandstone-paved entrance platform with two stages of four and four granite steps, flanked by cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Street boundary has single granite step and decorative cast-iron railings over moulded granite plinth with matching pedestrian gate on decorative round-headed cast-iron piers. Yard to rear of plot, with modernized two-storey mews building to lane.
No. 6 Herbert Place forms part of a long, cohesive late Georgian row of brick houses that are set back from the Grand Canal above high exposed basements. The historic form and architectural character of the group are largely well retained, with the main elevations displaying elegant proportions that are enlivened through the restrained Greek Revival detailing of the stone doorcases and setting features. Despite the insertion of replacement casement windows and some recent modifications, No. 7 retains original proportions, a good Greek Doric doorcase and setting features. Forming part of a cohesive group lining the west banks of the Grand Canal, the row enhances this historic streetscape on the Grand Canal and contributes to the wider Georgian core of south Dublin. Although many mews buildings are modernized, including that to No. 6, the overall form of the row on Herbert Lane remains intact. Built as a southward continuation of Warrington Place, this stretch of the street was renamed following the accession of Sidney Herbert to his father's estates in 1827.