Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1795 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1815 as one of twelve (Nos. 4-15) within longer row of similar houses, having three-storey flat-roofed return to north end of rear. Now in use as apartments. M-profile roof, hipped to north end, having brick parapet with moulded granite coping. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to south party wall with clay pots. Concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond buff brick walling, with painted ruled-and-lined rendered walling to front basement with painted masonry plinth course over; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with painted rendered reveals and painted granite sills; rendered surround to basement opening set in segmental-headed recess. Timber sliding sash windows, replacement eight-over-eight to basement with angled horns, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Apparently six-over-six pane timber sash windows to rear. Elliptical-headed doorway with rendered reveals, painted stone Greek Doric doorcase with triglyphs, guttae and metopes to entablature, decorative leaded fanlight and bolection-moulded twin-panel timber door with replacement chrome furniture. Shared sandstone-paved entrance platform with two stages of four and four granite steps flanked by cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Plainly detailed doorway beneath entrance platform. Street boundary has single granite step and decorative cast-iron railings on granite plinth with matching pedestrian gates on decorative round-headed cast-iron piers. Yard and refaced or rebuilt two-storey mews building to lane. Located on west side of Herbert Place, overlooking Grand Canal, and forming part of cohesive row (Nos. 4-25).
No. 8 Herbert Place forms part of a long, cohesive row of late Georgian brick houses that are set back from the Grand Canal above high exposed basements. The historic form and architectural character of the terraced group are largely well retained, the main elevations displaying elegant proportions that are enlivened through the restrained Greek Revival detailing of the stone doorcases and setting features. Although many mews buildings are modernized, including that to No. 8, the overall form of the row on Herbert Lane remains intact. Retaining a good Greek Doric doorcase with decorative fanlight, original proportions and setting features, No. 8 forms part of a historic streetscape lining the west bank of the Grand Canal, and contributes to the wider Georgian core of south Dublin. Originally built as a southward continuation of Warrington Place, this stretch of the street was renamed following the accession of Sidney Herbert to his father's estates in 1827.