Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1840 as one of pair (Nos. 19-20) within longer row of similar houses, and having two and three-storey return to south end of rear. M-profile roof hipped to south end, having rebuilt brick parapet with masonry coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystacks (red brick to south end) with cogged copings. Replacement aluminium downpipe, and cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Flemish bond red brick walling, wigged to lower floors, on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, replacement six-over-six pane with ogee horns to ground and first floors, three-over-three pane to top floor, ten-over-ten pane to basement, all having simple convex horns, and six-over-six pane with profiled horns to second floor. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, wrought-iron window-guards to second floor, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Timber sash windows to rear, three-over-three pane to top floor, south bay having round-headed window and north bay having eight-over-eight pane window to second floor and tripartite six-over-six pane below. Round-headed doorway with painted moulded surround and masonry doorcase comprising pro-style Ionic columns supporting plain entablature, plain fanlight and six-panel timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with four bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and concrete steps lead down to basement. yard to rear, with modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot.
A mid-nineteenth-century row house built in the Georgian style, displaying well-balanced proportions and the graded fenestration pattern, typical of the period. The house, along with the wider terrace and row, is attractive and relatively well-retained with original features, including a good Ionic doorcase. The decorative balconettes further enhance the facade. The intact setting, with decorative railings, contributes to the character of the streetscape and also to the wider historic core of south Dublin city. Linking Mount Street Crescent to Lower Baggot Street, this street was laid out by Sydney Herbert from the early 1830s.