Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1840 within longer row of similar houses, having two-storey hipped return to south end of rear. Now in commercial office use. M-profile roof, hipped to south end, having brick parapet with masonry coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to north. Shared cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Flemish bond red brick walling on painted granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, largely with profiled horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, one-over-one pane to ground floor and basement having ogee horns, and six-over-six pane to middle floors. First floor openings have scalloped, panelled and scrolled trimmings to window heads and decorative cast-iron balconettes. Wrought-iron window-guards to second floor and steel grille to basement. Timber sash windows to rear, three-over-three pane to top floor, south bay having round-headed six-over-six pane window and north bay having eight-over-eight pane window to second floor and tripartite six-over-six pane below. Round-headed doorway with painted moulded surround and masonry doorcase comprising pro-style Ionic columns, entablature with plain fanlight and six-panel timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and three bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and concrete steps lead down to basement. Yard to rear, with two-storey mews building to rear of plot extended to lane side.
A mid-nineteenth-century row house built in the Georgian style, displaying well-balanced proportions and the graded fenestration pattern, typical of the period. The house, along with the wider terrace and row, is attractive and relatively well-retained with original features, including a good Ionic doorcase. The decorative balconettes and Victorian embellishments to the first floor openings further enhance the facade. The intact setting, with decorative railings and boot-scrape, contributes to the character of the streetscape and also to the wider historic core of south Dublin city. Linking Mount Street Crescent to Lower Baggot Street, this street was laid out by Sydney Herbert from the early 1830s.