Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1840 as one of pair (Nos. 3-4) within row of similar houses, with two-storey return to north end of rear. M-profile pitched slate roof, behind brick parapet with masonry coping, and having parapet gutters, replacement uPVC downpipe, and rendered shouldered chimneystacks to south with terracotta pots. Flemish bond light red brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, having patent reveals, painted masonry sills and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with profiled horns, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors, six-over-six pane to second floor, three-over-three pane to top floor, and fifteen-over-ten pane to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Timber sash windows to rear, south bay having eight-over-eight pane window to second floor and tripartite six-over-six pane below. Round-headed doorway with render surround and painted masonry doorcase comprising pro-style Ionic columns, entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and four convex bull-nosed granite steps. Basement enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth, with cast-iron gate. Plain square-headed doorway and window beneath entrance platform. carparking to rear, with modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot with single-pitched addition to lane side.
A mid-nineteenth-century row house built in the Georgian style, displaying well-balanced proportions and the graded fenestration pattern typical of the period. The building, along with the wider row, is attractive and relatively well retained with original features, including a good Ionic doorcase with a decorative fanlight, and an unusual convex flight of steps. It also displays good ironwork in its decorative balconettes. The setting, with its cast-iron railings and decorative boot-scrape, contributes to the character of the street. Linking Mount Street Crescent to Lower Baggot Street, Herbert Street was laid out by Sydney Herbert from the early 1830s.