Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1850


317005, 233227

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1840 as one of pair (Nos. 1-2) within row of similar houses, with two-storey return and lower addition to south end of rear. M-profile roof behind brick parapet with masonry coping, having parapet gutters, replacement uPVC downpipe, and rendered shouldered chimneystacks to north with terracotta pots. Flemish bond red-brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; rendered to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with patent reveals, masonry sills and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors, six-over-six pane to second floor, three-over-three pane to top floor, and fifteen-over-ten pane to basement with cavetto horns; rear elevation has three-over-three pane to top floor, eight-over-eight pane to second floor and replacement timber casements to lower floors. Decorative cast-iron balconette to one first floor window, wrought-iron window-guards to second floor, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Rear has timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor, north bay has eight-over-eight pane to second floor and tripartite six-over-six pane below. Round-headed doorway with render surround, doorcase comprising pro-style Ionic columns, plain entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and timber six-panel door with round middle panels and brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and four convex bull-nosed granite steps. Basement enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth, with cast-iron gate. Square-headed door and window openings beneath entrance platform. carparking to rear, with two-storey mews building to rear of plot extended to lane side.


A mid-nineteenth-century row house built in the Georgian style, displaying well-balanced proportions and a graded fenestration pattern typical of the period. The building, along with the wider row, is attractive and relatively well retained with original features, including a good Ionic doorcase, decorative fanlight and unusual convex entrance steps. It also displays good ironwork in its balconette. The setting, with its cast-iron railings contributes to the character of the street. Linking Mount Street Crescent to Lower Baggot Street, Herbert Street was laid out by Sydney Herbert from the early 1830s. The house was the birthplace in 1852 of the composer Charles Villiers Stanford.