Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited four-storey former houses over concealed basement, built c. 1820, wedge-shaped in plan, having five-bay (south) elevation to Baggot Street and single bay to Fitzwilliam Street, with two-storey return to rear. Formerly three separate houses. Now in use as public house, with offices above. Hipped roof, having parapet with painted masonry coping, parapet gutters, cast-iron hopper and downpipe, and shouldered painted rendered chimneystacks with lipped clay pots. Painted rendered walling with stucco quoin strips. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, having patent reveals and painted masonry sills. Replacement windows, timber casement to middle floors and uPVC to top floor. Round-headed doorcase to west elevation, with moulded rendered surround, panelled frieze on engaged panelled pilasters, plain fanlight and recent six-panel timber door. Square-headed doorway to east end of south elevation, having plain surrounds, transom light and replacement timber panelled door. Traditional-style timber pubfront to south elevation. Concrete paving with single step to street at west doorway. Wrought and decorative cast-iron railings to west elevation over painted masonry plinth enclosing partially covered basement area; similar railings to pub doorways on south elevation.
Two former houses of the early nineteenth century have since been amalgamated, with a pubfront inserted across the south. Situated at a prominent corner site, the well-balanced proportions and graded fenestration pattern are well-retained, particularly on the single-bay west elevation. However, much historic detailing has been lost, most notably the windows. The pubfront dominates the longer south elevation. The pub was a frequent haunt of the 'Baggotonions', a group that included writers Patrick Kavanagh, Brendan Behan and artist Owen Walsh. The interior of the pub features a mural of about 1967, painted by Walsh.