Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one in group of three (Nos. 35-37), and having two-storey single-pitched return to west end of rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched slate roof to front span, hipped to west end, having hipped single-pitched roofs to rear span perpendicular to street, brick parapet with moulded projecting masonry coping, parapet gutters and platband. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to west with yellow clay pots and concrete coping. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors of front, rusticated ashlar granite to ground floor with projecting granite course above and below, over tool-faced ashlar limestone walls to basement; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, rendered reveals and brick voussoirs, and with raised granite architrave to basement window opening. Timber sliding sash windows with cavetto horns, six-over-three pane to top floor, one-over-one pane to ground floor and basement, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, with tripartite windows to ground and first floors of east bay. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase with moulded surround, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, replacement peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with recent brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and five bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with decorative openwork cast-iron pier to east end. Plain square-headed doorway beneath entrance platform. Garden to rear of plot.
A well retained late Georgian house that is part of a short terrace (Nos. 35-37 Mount Street Upper), forming the east end of a largely cohesive row lining the south side of the street. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase, fanlight, and ornate metalwork to its balconettes, boot-scrape and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments radiating from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late-Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista of Georgian Dublin.