Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of group of three (Nos. 35-37), rear having two-storey single-pitched return to east end and fire escape to west end. Now in commercial office use. M-profile roof, having brick parapet, moulded projecting masonry coping and platband. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to west with yellow clay pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors of front, rusticated ashlar granite to ground floor with projecting granite course above and below, over tool-faced ashlar limestone walls to basement; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, rendered reveals and brick voussoirs, and having raised granite architrave to basement window opening. Timber sliding sash windows with convex and cavetto horns and some historic glass, six-over-three pane to top floor, eighteen-over-eighteen pane to basement with some rolled glass, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Rear elevation has round-headed stairs window opening and some Wyatt-style windows. Decorative cast-iron balcony spanning first floor windows, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, with round-headed stairs window to east bay. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase with moulded surround, pro-style fluted Doric columns, entablature with triglyphs, guttae and metopes to frieze, plain fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with recent brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and five bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and mild steel steps lead down to basement. Plain square-headed doorway beneath entrance platform. carparking and garden to rear of plot.
A well retained late Georgian house, the middle of a consistent terrace of three and forming part of a largely unified row lining the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase and ornate metalwork to its full-width balcony, boot-scrape and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments radiating from Leinster House since construction of the latter in the mid-eighteenth century. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late-Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista of Georgian Dublin.