Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1860
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 43, having two-storey return to east end of rear. Now in office use. Pitched slate roof to front span, behind brick parapet with granite coping with parapet gutters, cornice and platband, hipped roof to west end of rear and shared hipped roof to east end of rear. Rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors of front with rusticated granite quoins to west end, rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting granite course above and below, over painted rendered basement walling; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with rendered reveals and painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows with profiled horns, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors, six-over-six pane to second floor and three-over-three pane to top floor. Wrought-iron window-guards to second floor, decorative cast-iron balconette to ground floor, steel balconettes to first floor and steel grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, with round-headed stairs window to east bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and six-panel timber door with brass furniture and beaded muntin. Stone-paved entrance platform with ornate cast-iron boot-scrape and five bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and mild steel steps lead down to basement. Continuous buildings to rear of plot.
A well retained late Georgian house forming part of a largely unified row lining the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase with a good fanlight, and ornate metalwork to its ground floor balconette and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments radiating from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista of Georgian Dublin.