Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1860
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 46, having two-storey return to east end of rear, with flat-roofed addition to south. Converted for office use, now vacant. M-profile pitched slate roof, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks with yellow clay pots. Replacement uPVC hopper and downpipe. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting granite course above and below, over painted horizontally channelled rendered basement walling; rendered to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows with angled horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, ten-over-ten pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative balconettes to first floor, wrought-iron window-guards to second floor, horizontal bars to upper part of top floor windows, and steel grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, with round-headed stairs window to east bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with six bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and mild steel steps lead down to basement. carparking and recent building to rear of plot.
A well retained late Georgian house forming part of a largely unified row lining the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase with a good fanlight, and ornate metalwork to its balconettes and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments that radiated from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista of Georgian Dublin.