Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1800 - 1860


316897, 233313

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 45, with two and three-storey return to west end of rear. Now in office use. M-profile pitched slate roof, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to east with yellow clay pots. Replacement uPVC hopper and downpipe. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting granite course above and below, over painted smooth rendered basement walling; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with patent reveals and painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, six-over-six pane to second floor, three-over-three pane to top floor with profiled horns, and one-over-one pane elsewhere. Wrought-iron window-guards to second floor and steel grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, plain fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with ornate cast-iron boot-scrape and six bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Yard to rear, and continuous buildings beyond to rear of plot.


A well retained late Georgian house forming the west end of a largely cohesive row lining the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase, and ornate metalwork to its railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments that radiated from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, with the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista in Georgian Dublin.