Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1800 - 1860


316890, 233318

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830, having two and three-storey return to east end of rear. Under renovation at time of survey. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east end, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to west with clay pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, and rusticated granite ground floor with projecting moulded granite sill course above and projecting granite plinth course below; brick to rear, top floor rebuilt in dark red brick. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with rendered reveals and painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows with cavetto horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, bipartite timber casements to first floor with integrated overlights and one-over-one pane to ground and second floors. Ornate cast-iron balcony spanning first floor, and wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, tripartite to ground and first floors of west bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded reveals, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, plain fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with ornate cast-iron boot-scrape and six bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, and cast-iron gate. carparking to rear of plot.


A well retained late Georgian house forming part of a largely unified row on the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase and ornate metalwork to its full-width balcony and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments that radiated from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street had been completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista in Georgian Dublin.