Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1860
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 49, having two-storey return to east end of rear. Now in office use. M-profile pitched slate roof, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Rendered chimneystacks to west and brick to east with yellow clay pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, with rusticated granite quoins to east end, rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting moulded granite course above and projecting granite course below, over tooled ashlar limestone basement walling; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with rendered reveals and painted masonry sills; plain stone surrounds to lower floors. Timber sliding sash windows with cavetto horns, six-over-six pane to second floor, six-over-three pane to top floor, fifteen-over-eight pane to basement and one-over-one pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to second floor, and ornate balcony spanning first floor. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with round-headed nine-over-six pane to east bay and tripartite windows to ground and first floors of west bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, rosettes to impost level, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with ornate cast-iron boot-scrape and five bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and timber steps lead down to basement. Plainly square-headed doorway beneath entrance platform. Garden and carparking to rear of plot.
A well retained late Georgian house, built in conjunction with No. 49 to the west and forming part of a largely unified row on the south side of Mount Street Upper. It has the rusticated stone ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase with a good fanlight, and ornate metalwork to its full-width balcony, window-guards higher up, and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the intactness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments that radiated from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street had been completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, with the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, a key vista of Georgian Dublin.