Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1860
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 48, with two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Rendered chimneystacks to east with yellow clay pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, with rusticated granite quoins to west end, over rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting moulded granite course above and projecting granite course below, over tooled ashlar limestone walls to basement; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, having rendered reveals and painted masonry sills, with granite surrounds to lower floors. Timber sliding sash windows with cavetto horns and some historic glass, one-over-one pane to ground floor, six-over-three pane to top floor, replacement fifteen-over-eight pane to basement, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Ornate full-width cast-iron balcony spanning first floor, and decorative cast-iron balconettes to second floor. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, round-headed to west bay and with tripartite windows to ground and first floors of east bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, rosettes to impost level, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, modified batwing fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with five bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and timber steps lead down to basement, with black and white tiles to area, and plainly square-headed doorway beneath entrance platform. Garden and carparking to rear of plot.
A late Georgian house, built in conjunction with No. 48, forming part of a largely unified row. The overall character of No. 49 has been well-retained. It has the rusticated granite ground floor of houses on this stretch of the street, a fine Doric doorcase with a good fanlight, and ornate metalwork to its full-width balcony, balconettes higher up, and railings. The intact setting enhances the building and contributes to the cohesiveness of the streetscape. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, the street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments radiating from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations within the street, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development, the south side notably grander than the north, boasting granite rustication across much of the ground floor. Mount Street Upper is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, an urban set-piece and key vista of Georgian Dublin.