Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1800 - 1860


316870, 233329

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of pair with No. 51, having three-storey return to east end of rear. Now in office use. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east end, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, cornice and platband. Rendered chimneystacks to west with yellow clay pots. Flemish bond red brick walling to upper floors, rusticated granite walling to ground floor with projecting moulded granite sill course above and projecting masonry course below, over painted rendered basement walls; brick to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with rendered reveals and painted masonry sills; granite surrounds to ground floor and basement floors. Timber sliding sash windows with profiled horns and generally historic glass, one-over-one pane to ground floor, three-over-six pane to top floor, replacement eight-over-eight pane to basement, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, wrought-iron window-guards to second floor, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear, with tripartite windows to ground and first floors of west bay and round-headed stairs window to east bay. Round-headed doorcase with moulded surround, rosettes to impost level, pro-style fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, peacock's tail fanlight and six-panel timber door with beaded muntin and replacement brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with remnants of cast-iron boot-scrape, and with five bull-nosed steps to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with masonry hatch inserted over part of plinth. carparking and modernized two-storey rubble stone mews building with integral brick segmental carriage-arch to rear of plot.


A well-retained Georgian house, with a rusticated granite ground floor, built in conjunction with No. 51, forming part of a largely unified row on the south side of the street. It has a fine Doric doorcase with a decorative fanlight and historic glazing and displays ornate metalwork to its full-width balcony and railings. The intact setting enhances it and contributes to the cohesiveness of the streetscape. The retention of the original, albeit modified, rubble stone mews building to the rear adds further interest and context. Laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney, Mount Street Upper was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments radiating from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. Variations, such as differences in parapet heights, are a telling feature of its piecemeal development. The south side with granite rustication across much of the ground floor, is notably grander than the north. The street is terminated at its east end by St. Stephen's Church, transforming what is a typical and relatively modest late Georgian street into an urban set-piece, one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.