Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1830
End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as one of terrace of five, having full-height glazed rear extension of c. 1980 (shared with adjoining buildings). Extensively remodelled and in use as offices. Replacement pitched slate roof to front span, hipped to east end, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystack to west with terracotta pots. Flemish bond red brick walling, with recent wigged pointing, on masonry plinth course over painted smooth-rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with patent reveals and granite sills. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, nine-over-six pane to first floor, three over-three pane to top floor, three-over-six pane to basement with wrought-iron grilles, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Round-headed doorway with stucco surround comprising engaged panelled pilasters with Adamesque Ionic capitals, stepped entablature with swags and rosettes to frieze, sidelights with oval-and-bar-motif, and having replacement peacock's tail fanlight, and eight-panel timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Inclined granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape (broken). Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth, with decorative cast-iron posts. Plainly detailed door opening beneath entrance platform. Rear enclosed by late twentieth-century buildings.
An early nineteenth-century Georgian row house, forming part of a largely unified terrace (Nos. 58-62). Although much of the original detailing was replaced during the renovation works of the 1990s, the overall character has been retained and it represents an important component of the streetscape. It displays a fine doorcase and fanlight and has intact setting details. Mount Street Upper was laid out in the 1780s and principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney linking the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper-class residential developments that radiated from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. The terrace is characterized by well-balanced proportions typical of the period, but the group at Nos. 58-62 boast more elaborate doorcases and greater window to wall ratios. Such variations within the groups in the street are a telling feature of its piecemeal development. Mount Street Upper is terminated by St. Stephen's Church at its east end, an impressive landmark focus making a key vista of Georgian Dublin.