Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1830
Terraced three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as one of terrace of five, with full-height glazed rear extension of c. 1980. Now in use as offices and extensively remodelled. Replacement pitched slate roof to front span, hipped to east end, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystack to west with terracotta pots. Flemish bond red brick walling, with recent wigged pointing, on masonry plinth course over painted smooth-rendered basement walls. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, having patent reveals and granite sills. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with convex horns and having six-over-six pane windows to ground and second floors, nine-over-six pane to first floor, three over-three pane to top floor, and three-over-six pane to basement with wrought-iron grilles. Round-headed doorway with stucco surround comprising engaged panelled pilasters, Adamesque Ionic capitals, stepped entablature with swags and rosettes to frieze, sidelights with oval-and-bar-motif, replacement petal fanlight, and eight-panel replacement timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Inclined granite entrance platform with ornate cast-iron boot-scrape. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings having decorative cast-iron posts, on moulded granite plinth. Square-headed doorway beneath entrance platform. Rear enclosed by late twentieth-century buildings.
An early nineteenth-century house forming part of a unified terrace laid out in the 1780s, principally developed by a Mr Osburne and David Courtney. Although much of the original detailing of No. 60 was replaced during the renovation works of the 1990s, the overall character has been retained and it represents an important component of the streetscape. It displays a fine doorcase and fanlight, and intact setting details. The street was built to link the newly constructed Grand Canal to the upper class residential developments radiating from Leinster House. Built in pairs and rows over a period of thirty years, the fifty-four houses on the street were completed by 1834. The terrace is characterized by well-balanced proportions typical of the period, but the group at Nos. 58-62 boast more elaborate doorcases and greater window to wall ratios. Such variations within the groups in the street are a telling feature of its piecemeal development. Mount Street Upper is terminated by St. Stephen's Church at its east end, an impressive landmark focus making one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.