Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1880 - 1890
Freestanding cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1885, comprising cylindrical shaft with shallow domed cap having moulded corona, neck moulding and letter aperture. Curved hinged door, incorporating raised frame and keyhole. Raised lettering to plinth reads 'Handyside Derby & London'. Located at southeast corner of Merrion Square.
Pillar postboxes were introduced to Dublin about 1857. The cylindrical type began in 1879 - the first boxes were hexagonal. This well-preserved box is an early example of its type, bearing no Royal cipher or other mark, features which were introduced from 1887. Still in use, it is a well-made and artistic piece of mass-produced street furniture that enhances the streetscape.