Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Artistic, Social, Technical

Original Use

Post box

In Use As

Post box


1890 - 1910


317117, 233218

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1900, comprising cylindrical shaft with shallow domed cap, moulded corona and letter aperture flanked by raised cast lettering 'Post Office'. Curved hinged door incorporating raised frame, royal cipher 'VR' and lock-plate with keyhole. Maker's mark 'Andrew Handyside Derby & London' to plinth. Sited at east end of Mount Street Crescent, at junction with Warrington Place.


A well-maintained example of a cast-iron Victorian pillar postbox, erected after 1887, having intact and typical, decorative cast-iron detailing. Such postboxes were introduced to Dublin about 1857 and the distribution of cylindrical versions began in March 1879, produced by Andrew Handyside of Derby and London, replacing an earlier hexagonal form. The basic design did not alter until 1905, but it was not until the end of 1887 that the royal cipher and words 'Post Office' were added. Still in use today, this pillar boxes enhances the immediate streetscape.