Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Corner-sited two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as end-of-terrace of five (Nos. 15-19). Now in use as apartments. M-profiled concrete tiled roof, hipped to north, having brick parapet with parapet gutters, rendered platband, moulded granite cornice and granite blocking course. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to south gable wall with clay pots. Flemish bond brown brick walling, with rusticated granite quoins to south end, on painted masonry plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs; pair of round-headed openings to rear. Timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, ten-over-ten pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, decorative cast-iron window-guards to top floor, and steel grille to basement. Round-headed doorway with moulded surround, and painted masonry doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with scrolled consoles, plain entablature, decorative petal fanlight and replacement four-panel timber door with beaded muntin and recent brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform with seven bull-nosed granite steps and decorative cast-iron railings over painted granite plinth. Garden to front with decorative cast-iron railings over painted moulded granite plinth to street boundary and matching pedestrian gate with decorative round-headed openwork cast-iron piers. Plainly detailed doorway beneath entrance platform. Recent red brick building in close proximity to rear.
A Georgian-style house, forming the end of a cohesive and relatively well-retained terrace on Warrington Place. It features a pilastered doorcase and decorative cast-iron railings and balconettes. Higher than the pair to the east, it and the other houses in the terrace are characterized by well-balanced proportions typical of the period, contributing strongly to the character of the streetscape along the Grand Canal and to the architectural heritage of south Dublin. Warrington Place was laid out 1791, but built in the early nineteenth century.