Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830 as one of terrace of five (Nos. 15-19), having recent fire escape to rear. Now in use as apartments. M-profiled concrete tiled roof, hipped to east end, having brick parapet with parapet gutters, rendered platband, moulded cornice and granite blocking course, shouldered brick chimneystacks to west party wall, and with cast-iron downpipe to rear elevation. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond on painted masonry plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs, and with two round-headed openings to rear. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, ten-over-ten pane to basement, three-over-three pane to top floor of rear, six-over-six pane elsewhere; round-headed stairs window to rear. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, decorative cast-iron window-guards to second floor, and steel balconettes to rear. Round-headed door opening with painted masonry doorcase having rendered surround, panelled pilasters with scrolled consoles, plain entablature, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and replacement four-panel timber door with beaded muntin. Granite-paved entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and eight bull-nosed granite steps, flanked by decorative cast-iron railings over painted moulded granite plinth, with matching railings lining path to east. Garden to front, accessed by decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate, having round-topped piers and railings over moulded granite plinth to front boundary. carparking to rear of Nos. 15-18.
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive and relatively well-retained terrace on Warrington Place. It features a pilastered doorcase and decorative cast-iron railings and balconettes. Higher than the pair to the east, it and the other houses in the terrace, are characterized by well-balanced proportions typical of the period, contributing strongly to the character of the streetscape along the Grand Canal and to the architectural heritage of south Dublin. Warrington Place was laid out 1791, but built in the early nineteenth century.