Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Corner-sited two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as east end-of-terrace of ten (Nos. 1-10), having pitched roofed two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched artificial slate roof, rear span higher than front span, hipped to west of front span, with terracotta ridge tiles, brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, shouldered brick chimneystacks to east gable wall with terracotta pots, and replacement uPVC downpipes. Flemish bond brown brick walling, with rusticated granite quoins to southeast corner, on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling; English garden wall bond brown brick to east (gable) and rear elevations over rubble limestone basement walling with granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and painted rendered reveals. Timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, eight-over-four pane to basement and six-over-six pane above. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Rear has apparently timber sash windows with varied three-over-three pane, six-over-six pane and possibly eight-over-eight pane arrangements, with round-headed stairs window to west bay. Tripartite round-headed timber window to return, with leaded stained glass. Round-headed doorway to front facade of house, with moulded surround, and painted masonry doorcase comprising engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, leaded peacock's tail fanlight and bolection-moulded four-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape, and two stages of three and four bull-nosed granite steps and flanked by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth, with further granite platform to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth to front boundary, with dressed granite end pier and matching pedestrian gates with round-headed openwork cast-iron piers. Limestone rubble boundary wall to east. Garden and recent curved-plan two-storey building to rear of plot.
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. This particular house, No. 10, appears to be the best preserved in the terrace, displaying a variety of timber sash windows and a well-retained rear return with round-headed windows. Its quoin work and corner siting give it added distinction and prominence in the terrace and streetscape. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street-line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.