Categories of Special Interest
Miss Shuley's Nursing Home
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as one of terrace of ten (Nos. 1-10), having flat-roofed two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear span higher than front, hipped to east of front span, brick parapet with granite coping, brown brick chimneystacks to east party wall with concrete copings, and concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walling on painted plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and painted rendered reveals. Timber six-over-six pane sliding sash windows with convex horns to ground floor upwards, and paired early twentieth-century metal-framed casements to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with varied three-over-three pane, six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane arrangements, with round-headed stairs window to west bay. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase comprising engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, leaded peacock's tail fanlight and bolection-moulded four-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform with two stages of three and four bull-nosed granite steps, two further rendered steps, and flanked by decorative cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth. Recent square-headed timber door underneath entrance platform. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings to front boundary on painted moulded granite plinth. carparking and recent two-storey building to rear of plot (straddling plot of No. 7).
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street-line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin. Nos. 7 and 8 were in use as a nursing home in 1914.