Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as one in terrace of ten (Nos. 1-10), with pitched two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear span higher than front, behind brick parapet with granite coping, brown brick chimneystacks to east party wall and rendered chimneystack to west, and concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with granite sills and painted rendered reveals, having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns above basement level and paired multiple-pane early twentieth-century metal-framed casements to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and steel grilles to basement. Apparently replacement windows to rear. Round-headed doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase comprising engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, leaded peacock's tail fanlight mounted in front of plain glass, and four-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite-paved entrance platform with two stages of three and five bull-nosed granite steps, flanked by decorative cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth, further granite platform/step to street, and decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings to front boundary on moulded granite plinth, with matching pedestrian gate having round-topped openwork decorative cast-iron piers. carparking and modernized two-storey rubble stone mews building to rear of plot.
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street-line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.