Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as one of terrace of ten (Nos. 1-10), having three-storey return to west end of rear with further lower addition to north. Now in use as offices, with dormer attic addition to rear. M-profile pitched slate roof, rebuilt and raised to rear, having brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, shouldered brown brick chimneystacks to east on rendered base with concrete coping, and shared cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing to upper floors, having replacement granite sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, eight-over-four pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows and wrought-iron grille to basement. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with varied two-over-two and three-over-three pane arrangements. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, replacement plain fanlight and four-panel bolection-moulded timber door with beaded muntin and replacement brass furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform, reached by two flights of three and four bull-nosed granite steps with intervening platform, and with decorative cast-iron railing on moulded granite plinth. Shared granite step and concrete path to street. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron pedestrian gate with round-headed openwork cast-iron piers on granite plinth. Yard and modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot.
A Georgian-style house, forming part of a largely cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street-line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.