Survey Data

Reg No

50100570


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1835 - 1840


Coordinates

317026, 233294


Date Recorded

29/07/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 as one in terrace of ten houses (Nos. 1-10), having three-storey return to east end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, rear span slightly higher than front and hipped to east end, with terracotta ridge tiles, brick parapet with granite coping, shouldered brown brick chimneystacks to west partially rebuilt and having replacement terracotta pots, and concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings having granite sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows with convex horns. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with varied two-over-two, six-over-six and eight-over-eight pane arrangements. Round-headed doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, replacement peacock's tail fanlight and four-panel bolection-moulded timber door with replacement chrome furniture. Shared granite-paved entrance platform, reached by two flights of three and four bull-nosed granite steps with intervening platform having metal coal-hole cover, and bounded by decorative cast-iron railing on moulded granite plinth. Shared granite step and concrete footpath to street. Plainly detailed timber doors to basement, beneath platform. Front boundary has cast-iron pedestrian gate with round-headed openwork cast-iron piers, and decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on granite plinth. Garden and modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot. Building set back from terrace to west and forward of rest of terrace to east.

Appraisal

A Georgian-style house, forming part of a cohesive terrace, Nos. 1-10 Mount Street Crescent. Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. Largely well-retained, the terraced group is set back from the street line to provide an oval-shaped space within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.