Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1835 - 1840


317015, 233290

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1836 in re-entrant corner of two terraces on different lines (set back from terrace to west and forward of terrace to east), but forming part of latter (Nos. 1-10), having two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear span, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters; shouldered brown brick chimneystacks to east gabled wall having concrete coping and no pots; and cast-iron hopper and downpipes to east elevation. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted lined-and-ruled rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, paired replacement two-over-two pane to basement with ogee horns and exposed sash boxes, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Apparently timber sash windows to rear with varied two-over-two, six-over-six and eight-over-eight pane arrangements. Round-headed doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having engaged fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and four-panel bolection-moulded timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Sandstone-paved entrance platform, reached by two flights of three bull-nosed and four plain granite steps with intervening platform having decorative cast-iron coal-hole cover, and bounded by decorative cast-iron railing on granite plinth. Sandstone footpath to street. Front boundary has cast-iron pedestrian gate with round-headed cast-iron piers, and decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth. Plainly detailed timber doors to basement, beneath platform. Yard and modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot.


A Georgian-style house, somewhat awkwardly marking the junction of two substantial terraces (Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent). Although modest in scale, compared with the adjoining houses on Mount Street Upper, the group features high basements with ground floors accessed via long flights of granite steps. The front elevations exhibit well-balanced proportions typical of the period and are enlivened by Greek Doric doorcases, pretty fanlights and decorative ironwork. The street-line is stepped to the west at No. 1, effectively marking the junction between Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Crescent. The terrace was completed in 1836-7, with eight of the houses constructed by a barrister, Joseph Gabbett, and the remaining two by Daniel Litton and a Mr Hutton. The building marks the point at which an interesting oval-shaped space was formed within which stands St. Stephen's Church, a building that dominates the streetscape and creates an interesting centrepiece terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.