Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1815 - 1835


317005, 233287

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1825 as east end-of-terrace of six (Nos. 27-32), having two-storey return and single-storey addition to rear. Now in use as commercial offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, concealed behind parapet with granite coping, parapet gutters and cornice, having shouldered chimneystacks, brick to west and rendered to east, with yellow clay pots, and shared replacement uPVC and cast-iron downpipe. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, with rusticated granite quoins to east corner and wigging on ground floor, on painted granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; unpainted smooth render to east (gable) elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, one-over-one pane with cavetto horns to basement, three-over-three pane to top floor and six-over-six pane elsewhere with simple horns. Decorative wrought-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron grille to basement. Rear elevation has three-over-three pane windows to top floor and eight-over-eight pane elsewhere, with round-headed stairs window. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having pro-style fluted Doric columns supporting entablature, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and replacement six-panel timber door. Granite entrance platform with six bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and mild steel steps provide access to basement area. Square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform with recent door. Attached terrace to east set back substantially from rest of street-line at point where Mount Street Crescent was formed. carparking and recent two-storey building to rear of plot.


This Georgian house, built by David Courtney in the early decades of the nineteenth century, forms part of a coherent terrace of six houses (Nos. 27-32). The restrained front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and graded fenestration typical of the period, enlivened by a good Doric doorcase, a pretty fanlight and later balconettes, and is further distinguished by its granite quoins. The fabric and architectural character are well retained to Mount Street Upper, making a strong contribution to the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The street was completed between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape indicating the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.