Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1825 as one of terrace of six (Nos. 27-32), having two-storey return to rear. Now in commercial office use. M-profile pitched slate roof, having parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, shouldered brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots, and replacement aluminium downpipe. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond, rebuilt above second floor window head level, on painted granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with cavetto horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, ten-over-ten pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative wrought-iron balconettes to first floor, wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor and eight-over-eight pane below, with round-headed nine-over-six pane stairs window to east bay. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase with pro-style fluted Doric columns supporting plain entablature, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and six-panel timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and six granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area. Cast-iron gate and steel steps provide access to basement area and square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform. carparking and recent three-storey building to rear of plot.
This Georgian house, built by David Courtney in the early decades of the nineteenth century, forms part of a coherent terrace of six houses (Nos. 27-32). The restrained front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and graded fenestration typical of the period, enlivened by a good Doric doorcase, a pretty fanlight and later balconettes. The fabric and architectural character are well retained to Mount Street Upper, making a strong contribution to the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The street was erected between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape indicating the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.