Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house with attic and basement, built c. 1825 as one of pair with No. 25, having two-storey return to east end of rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched slate single-span roof, behind parapet (raised by two courses) with granite coping, having one dormer window to each slope, square-headed to front and pitched to rear. Brick chimneystack with hexagonal yellow clay pots, and shared replacement aluminium downpipe. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Hornless timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight pane to basement with wrought-iron grille, and six-over-six pane elsewhere; replacement uPVC windows to attic; rear elevation has apparently eight-over-eight pane timber sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase having engaged columns with Scamozzian capitals, entablature with panelled frieze, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and replacement six-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and six granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth, extending to enclose basement area with cast-iron gate. Later coal-hole cover to pavement. Square-headed replacement door recessed beneath entrance platform. carparking and recent dormered two-storey building to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one of a pair. The pair and a terrace of four to its west are a storey lower than the rest of the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained façade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was erected between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.