Survey Data

Reg No

50100561


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1815 - 1835


Coordinates

316959, 233312


Date Recorded

03/06/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay three-storey former house with attic and basement, built c. 1825 as one of pair with No. 26, having two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched slate single-span roof, having shouldered rendered and brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots, square-headed dormer window to each roof slope, behind parapet (raised by two courses) with granite coping, and having shared replacement aluminium downpipe. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, eight-over-eight pane without horns to basement, replacement six-over-six pane elsewhere with ogee horns, and replacement uPVC or recent timber casements to attic. Decorative wrought-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron grille and vignette to basement. Rear elevation has six-over-six pane timber sash windows, with round-headed stairs window to west bay. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase having engaged columns with Scamozzian capitals supporting entablature with panelled frieze, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and replacement nine-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and six granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate and mild steel steps to latter. Square-headed door opening recessed beneath entrance platform with recent door. Yard to rear of building, recent gabled two-storey block to mid-plot and with recent two-storey building flanked by yards to front and back to lane.

Appraisal

A late Georgian row house, built as one of a pair. The pair and the terrace of four to its west are a storey lower than the rest of the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained fa├žade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was completed erected 1790 and 1834 and the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.