Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1825 as one of pair with No. 23, having two-storey gabled return to rear with further storey to south (house) end. Now in commercial office use. Pitched slate single-span roof, behind parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots. Shared replacement aluminium downpipe and hopper. Wigged red brick walling laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to second floor without horns, one-over-one pane to lower floors with horns, and recent timber casement window to basement. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and recent wrought-iron grille to basement. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase having engaged columns with Scamozzian capitals supporting entablature with panelled frieze, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Concrete and tiled brick steps to basement area and square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform. carparking and two-storey rubble stone mews building to rear of plot, latter with blocked square-headed openings with yellow brick surrounds.
A late Georgian row house, built as part of a terrace of four houses, a storey lower than the rest of the houses on the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained façade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was erected between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.