Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house with half dormer attic over basement, built c. 1825 as one of pair with No. 24, having two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched slate single-span roof, shared with No. 23, with pair of diminutive timber-sheeted gabled dormers to front slope, behind parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, and single similar dormer window to rear slope. Shouldered brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots. Shared replacement aluminium downpipe and hopper. Brown brick walling laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floor, with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows, with some historic glass, having cavetto horns to ground floor; basement window hidden behind steel roller shutter. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Round-headed stairs window to west bay of rear. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase having engaged columns with Scamozzian capitals supporting entablature with panelled frieze, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, latter accessed by cast-iron gate and concrete steps. Square-headed door opening beneath entrance platform, concealed by steel roller shutter. carparking and two-storey rendered mews building with one-storey addition to front of latter to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as part of a terrace of four houses, a storey lower the rest of the houses on the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained façade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was erected between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.