Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached two-bay three-storey former house with half dormer attic over basement, built c. 1825 as one of pair with No. 21, two-storey return to rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched single-span roof, shared with No. 21, having pair of gabled dormers to front slope with replacement uPVC windows and otherwise timber fittings, and single dormer to rear. Brick chimneystack, parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shared cast-iron downpipe and hopper. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with granite sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, hornless to top floor and with ogee horns elsewhere, eight-over-four pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows and wrought-iron grille to basement. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, six-over-six pane to top floor and one-over-one pane below. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase having engaged columns with Scamozzian capitals supporting entablature with panelled frieze, decorative peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Decorative cast-iron coal-hole to pavement. Concrete steps to basement area and recent square-headed door beneath entrance platform. carparking and recent two-storey building and yard to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as part of a terrace of four houses, a storey lower the rest of the houses on the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained façade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was erected between 1790 and 1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.