Survey Data

Reg No

50100557


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1815 - 1835


Coordinates

316936, 233325


Date Recorded

03/06/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay three-storey former house with half dormer attic over basement, built c. 1825, a pair with No. 22, two-storey return to rear. Now in commercial office use. Pitched single-span roof, shared with No. 22, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters, and having pair of gabled dormers to front slope with recent timber casement windows, and single similar dormer to rear. Brick chimneystack to party wall, parapet with granite coping. Shared cast-iron downpipe and hopper. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond, on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with granite sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors, six-over-six pane to top floor, and eight-over-four pane to basement with secondary glazing. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings, wrought-iron window-guards to top floor and steel grille to basement. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, six-over-six pane to top floor and one-over-one pane below. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase with engaged columns having Scamozzian capitals supporting entablature with panelled frieze, cast-iron peacock's tail fanlight and eleven-panel timber door. Shared granite entrance platform with decorative wrought-iron boot-scrape, and accessed by five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on granite plinth enclosing basement area, latter accessed by cast-iron gate and concrete steps. Recent square-headed door and window beneath entrance platform. carparking and recent two-storey apartment block to rear of plots of Nos. 19-21.

Appraisal

A late Georgian row house, built as part of a group of four houses, a storey lower the rest of the houses on the street. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, with the restrained fa├žade enlivened by later cast-iron balconettes and a good doorcase with Scamozzian capitals and a pretty fanlight. The coherence of the terrace is relatively well retained. Mount Street Upper was erected between 1790 and 1834 and the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The terrace contributes strongly to the cohesive character of the street and the wider historic core of south Dublin city. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.